Assisted Living Caregiver Program Description
For the currently licensed Arizona CNA student, the NCIA Board allows for a waiver of classroom hours. Since the CNA student must take and pass the Arizona State Written Exam to become an Assisted Living Caregiver, your classroom experience is shortened but you will still cover all the curriculum through competency exams, and only 16 hours of class covering Medication Management. This approach is called the CNA Bridge. Students will complete the classroom hours on 1 weekend, Saturday and Sunday, or 3 weekdays, Monday and Tuesday and Friday.
As a student, you will learn required skills and materials associated with assisted living care, including:
- Legal and ethical issues
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Service plans
- Infection control
- Nutrition and food preparation
- Fire, safety, and emergency procedures
- Home environment and maintenance
- Basic caregiver skills
- Mental health and social services
- Care of the cognitively impaired resident
- Basic restorative services
- Medication management.
Caregiver instruction will be delivered by hands-on practice, class discussion, videos, and eLearning materials. Come prepared to learn and participate!