Assisted Living Caregiver Program Description
Assisted Living Caregiver students will complete a minimum of 62 hours of course attendance as mandated by the state board.
Caregiver students will receive login credentials for the distance learning materials. The distance learning chapters can be completed before, after or during the classroom phase. All instructions and log in credentials necessary to complete the distance learning portion of the course are delivered to the email address the student provides during registration.
Next, Caregiver students will attend and complete 42 hours of classroom instruction. During the Caregiver course, students must pass all chapter exams with an 80% or higher. To help students study and prepare for the exams, Caregiver students are provided with online study aids accessible via the eLearning class portal.
Caregiver students must pass the Assisted Living Caregiver course final exam with an 80% or higher. Upon passing students are eligible to sit for the Arizona State Board NCIA Exam.
As a student, you will learn required skills and materials associated with assisted living care, including:
- Legal and ethical issues
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Service plans
- Infection control
- Nutrition and food preparation
- Fire, safety, and emergency procedures
- Home environment and maintenance
- Basic caregiver skills
- Mental health and social services
- Care of the cognitively impaired resident
- Basic restorative services
- Medication management.
Caregiver instruction will be delivered by hands-on practice, class discussion, videos, and eLearning materials. Come prepared to learn and participate!
Caregiver Course Requirements:
- Complete 20 eLearning Hours and 42 classroom hours for a total of 62 hours.
- Complete Requirements For the Arizona Food Handlers Card. (effective 10/1/13)
- Complete and Submit the AZDPS fingerprint card application. (effective 10/1/13)
- Pass all class exams and the course final exam with an 80% or higher.
- Pass the Arizona State Final Exam through D&S Diversified Technology